Pride of Anglia - Ipswich Town Football Club

since 1878

Quick Links

Site Index

Player A-Z





Occasions when Goalkeeper Injured or Replaced

Occasions when a goalkeeper has been replaced (due to injury, substitution or otherwise) during a game.

# Date Opponent
1 03/09/1952

Norwich City (away) Division Three (South)

Jack Parry left the field for treatment on a suspected broken wrist and winger James Gaynor took over in goal for two minutes. Parry's injury was confirmed after the match as a fracture and he missed the next fourteen league games before making his return to the first team in the away match at Walsall on 15th November. Town lost 1-0.

2 15/11/1952

Walsall (away) Division Three (South)

Jack Parry, making his comeback after his injury in the game at Carrow Road, was again replaced by winger James Gaynor. This time suffering a dislocated thumb which kept him sidelined for a further four league games. Town, despite being down to ten men, won 3-1.

3 04/12/1954

Swansea Town (away) Division Two

Jack Parry was replaced yet again, but this time by forward Wilf Grant, after injuring a hand. Grant had to face a penalty, which was missed by Swansea's Medwin, but Town still lost 6-1.

4 05/03/1955

Fulham (away) Division Two

Jack Parry cracked a rib and was replaced between the sticks by winger George McLuckie. Despite a valiant effort by McLuckie Fulham ran out 4-1 winners. This would prove to be Parry's last game for the club.

5 09/03/1963

West Bromwich Albion (away) Division One

Wilf Hall carried off after 10 minutes with a dislocated shoulder, forward Ted Phillips taking over in goal. With inside-forward Doug Moran also sustaining an injury Town played out the last 25 minutes with 9 men. 6-1 to West Brom.

6 05/10/1963

Arsenal (away) Division One

Injury forced keeper Roy Bailey to leave the field of play with defender Billy Baxter taking over in goal. Town lost 6-0. Bailey would miss the next six league outings.

7 22/02/1964

Chelsea (away) Division One

Four months later and it was the turn of Roy Bailey's understudy Jim Thorburn to leave the field through injury. With forward Ted Phillips taking over in goal, Thorburn-less Town lost 4-0.

8 03/10/1970

West Bromwich Albion (home) Division One

David Best suffered a back injury in a collision with the late Jeff Astle and was replaced in goal by striker Trevor Whymark. Match ended 2-2. Best would miss the next 23 league outings allowing Laurie Sivell an extended run in the side.

9 06/03/1976

Aston Villa (away) Division One

Laurie Sivell, suffered a facial injury after diving at the feet of Villa striker, and now SKY TV pundit, Andy Gray in the 89th minute. Striker Trevor Whymark took over for the remained of the match which ended goalless. Sivell's injury, which caused the loss of several teeth, required eleven stitches in and around the mouth.

10 16/03/1977

West Bromwich Albion (away) Division One

Laurie Sivell, who received a kick in the head from the Baggies David Cross, left the pitch for five minutes during which time Centre-Half Allan Hunter deputised. Sivell, still groggy from the incident, conceded four goals in the last twenty minutes. Final score 0-4.

11 07/04/1979

Leeds United (away) Division One

Paul Cooper injured his hand late in the first half and winger Clive Woods took over until the break. Match ended 1-1.

12 01/11/1980

West Bromwich Albion (home) Division One

The fourth time that Town have lost the use of their goalkeeper in a fixture with the Midlands club. Paul Cooper suffered a knee injury in the opening ten minutes of the game and soldiered on before finally leaving the field in the 50th minute. Defender Russell Osman deputised and the game ended goalless.

13 28/02/1987

Sunderland (away) Division Two

Sunderland are awarded a 90th minute penalty after Romeo Zondervan is judged to have handled the ball while chesting it back to Paul Cooper. Injured in the process Cooper is replaced by central defender Ian Cranson who is unable to prevent Proctor from converting the spot-kick. Town lose 1-0.

14 27/09/1989

Brighton & Hove Albion (away) Division Two

Craig Forrest is taken to hospital with a back injury after a three-way collision with team mate Steve Palmer and Albion's Wood. Defender David Hill takes over between the sticks and holds his own until the 88th minute when Wilkins bundles home the winner for the home side. 1-0 to the Seagull's.

15 26/09/1992

Sheffield United (home) Division One

Craig Forrest sent-off after two minutes. Substitute 'keeper Clive Baker takes over in goal to make his debut. Game ends goalless.

16 23/09/1995

Charlton Athletic (home) Division One

Craig Forrest carried off in the 55th minute with a neck injury. No substitute keeper on the bench so forward Neil Gregory takes over in goal and is beaten four times as Town lose 5-1.

17 07/09/1996

Huddersfield Town (home) Division One

Richard Wright carried off after 14 minutes with severe back spasms. Forward Neil Gregory dons the green jersey again and is beaten three times (including a strike by Marcus Stewart) as Town lose 3-1. Again no substitute keeper on the bench.

18 24/02/1998

Oxford United (home) Division One

Richard Wright leaves the pitch during the first half for stitches and is temporarily replaced by midfielder and captain Matt Holland. Holland is beaten by a Kevin Francis header in the 11th minute, but Wright returns and Town go on to record a 5-2 win.

19 08/09/2001

Leicester City (away) Premier League

Matteo Sereni sent-off in the 58th minute for 'allegedly' fouling Leicester's Robbie Savage in the penalty area. With Town one-up, substitute keeper Keith Branagan takes over to face the resulting penalty kick, which Izzet misses. Leicester, however, score a late equaliser to draw one-one. Sereni's red-card later rescinded after TV evidence revealed that Savage had dived.

20 28/09/2004

Reading (home) Coca-Cola Championship

Kelvin Davis replaced at half-time by Lewis Price. Davis had been struggling for the past couple of days with a sore back and an injection prior to the game was able to get him through the first 45 minutes. Lewis Price came on but didn't have a great deal to do.

21 13/08/2005

Leicester City (away) Coca-Cola Championship

Lewis Price replaced after 35 minutes by Shane Supple. Price had made good saves from City's David Connolly and Mark de Vries, picking up an injury for his troubles. 18-year-old Supple, making his senior debut, proved equally unbeatable in the Town goal.

Back to the top ^^

Copyright ©2000-2009 pride of anglia |