Quick Links

Site Index

Player A-Z





Winning Flowers

A Potted Club History

Results and tables for the following seasons can be found in our all-time results section.

The 1870's

Season 1878-79

Ipswich Association Football Club is born with T.C. Cobbold MP its first President. Home games are played on the club ground at Broom Hill and the first ‘competitive’ fixture there, on Saturday 2 November, 1878, sees a 6-1 victory over local side Stoke Wanderers. The first ever ‘away’ game results in a 2-0 win at Harwich the following weekend.

Season 1879-00

The club begins to emerge as a force in Suffolk football, losing just one game in seventeen, and inflicting on Framlingham College their first home defeat in six years. Sufficient players are now enrolled to field a second XI.

The 1880's

Season 1880-81

The biggest win in the Club’s entire history is recorded with a 15-0 win against East Stamford, John Knights registering three hat-tricks to become the highest ever individual scorer in one game. 86 goals were scored in sixteen fixtures with the Club still undefeated at home.

Season 1881-82

Not a single game is lost during the entire season and only Colchester Town (forerunner of Colchester United) are able to hold Ipswich to a draw. Sixteen-year-old Stephen Notcutt makes his debut. Notcutt served the club as player, captain and committee member for over forty-years until his death in 1923.

Season 1882-83

An outhouse at The Inkerman on Norwich Road served as club’s changing rooms during these early years with the club now playing most home games at Brook’s Hall. A severe winter prevented many competitive games from being played and practice matches became a common feature at weekends. Smokers v Non-Smokers a favourite way of organising the players.

Season 1883-84

Ipswich Association undertake their first away trip to London were they are narrowly beaten 3-2 by The Pilgrims in Walthamstow. The Pilgrims are also the opposition when the club play their first ever game at Portman Road in a benefit match for the East Suffolk Hospital. A combination of Broom Hill and Brook’s Hall continued to be used for other home games.

Season 1884-85

Seven Association players represent Suffolk County in a 4-1 win over Norfolk.

Season 1885-86

The Suffolk Challenge Cup is launched and the Association beat Ipswich Rangers, Beccles College and Sudbury to reach the final. The largest ever crowd to watch a game in Suffolk so far see the Association and Woodbridge play out a 2-2 draw at Portman Road. Two replays are required before Woodbridge clinch the trophy.

Season 1886-87

A landmark season as the club win their first ever trophy, beating Ipswich School 2-1 in the final at Portman Road to lift Suffolk Challenge Cup. And, according to the EADT’s report of events “… the pavilion was filled, and the sides of the field lined, with the youth and beauty of the town”.

Season 1887-88

In what proved to be the Club’s final season at Brook’s Hall they were knocked out of the Challenge Cup in the 2nd Round and overall lost six out of sixteen matches. Ernest Aldous Kent makes his debut. Until injury forced him to retire in 1902, the inside forward or centre-forward scored fifty-five goals for the club in competitive games and more three times that number in friendly fixtures.

Season 1888-89

The club merges with Ipswich Rugby Club to become Ipswich Town Football Club and makes Portman Road its permanent home. Fourteen of twenty matches are won during the season including the Suffolk Challenge Cup final in which Newmarket are beaten 4-0. Over 3,000 watch the final at Portman Road including many non-paying spectators who stormed a gate on Constantine Road.

Season 1889-90

Town win the inaugural Suffolk Senior Cup with a 4-1 win in the final against Long Melford (the County FA having channelled entries from the old Suffolk Challenge Cup into two separate competitions for junior and senior sides). Seventeen wins, two draws and just a single defeat are registered during the season.

The 1890's

Season 1890-91

Town entered the FA Cup for the very first time with a large crowd witnessing a 2-0 win against Reading at Portman Road (George Sherrington and Stanley Turner the goal scorers). Further victories against Norwich Thorpe and Huntingdon County followed before a 4-1 home reverse to the 93rd Highlanders stopped Town from reaching the first round proper at the very first attempt.

Season 1891-92

The penalty-kick is ‘invented’ with Fred Turner converting Town’s first ever spot-kick in a 7-0 win against Saxmundham. Hopes of a repeat of the previous seasons FA Cup exploits are short lived with a 5-0 defeat at the hands of Old Westminsters in the 1st Qualifying Round. A Canadian/American Touring side become the first foreign side to play at Portman Road and lose 2-1, and three Town players are in the Suffolk County side that take on and lose to Preston North End, the first professional side to visit Portman Road.

Season 1892-93

Royal Arsenal, shortly to be elected to the Football League, and considered to be the strongest club in the south of England defeat Town 5-0 in a friendly at Portman Road, despite having inside left Elliott sent-off. Ernest Aldous Kent hits five hat-tricks during the course of the season and Town score after just 5 seconds in a 5-0 win over Sudbury Town.

Season 1893-94

Town enter the FA Amateur Cup for the very first time. 123 goals are scored in 29 matches over the course of the season with Town victorious in 22 of them including a 13-0 drubbing of the 58th Regiment Northants.

Season 1894-95

The 1894/95 campaign proved to be one of the most exciting of the clubs amateur years. Victories against Norwich CEYMS, Peterborough Town and the 2nd Scots Guards propelled Town into the last 16 of the FA Amateur Cup where they lost 7-3 in a replay to the Old Etonians, twice winners of the FA Cup, after a 1-1 draw at Portman Road. A 1-0 defeat at the hands of Saxmundham stopped Town from reaching the Suffolk Senior Cup final but as the season drew to a close it was off-fields events that took the headlines as Town declined an invitation to join the newly formed Southern League and any immediate possibility of turning ‘professional’.

Season 1895-96

Town won the Suffolk Senior Cup and also undertook there longest away journey to date when they travelled to the North East for an FA Amateur Cup 2nd Round tie against Bishop Auckland. A crowd of 2,000 saw the home side win by three goals to one.

Season 1896-97

Sparta Rotterdam became the first continental side to play at Portman Road were they were defeated 10-0 by an Ipswich representative XI and Town won the Ipswich Charity Cup beating Beccles Caxton after a replay.

Season 1897-98

Town again decline an invitation to take part in league football – this time from the Norfolk & Suffolk League. Of Town’s friendly fixtures fourteen were against London opposition, all of which were played at Portman Road, while Tom Haward became the first Town player to be sent-off when he was dismissed in the game at Framlingham College. The Ipswich Charity Cup was retained and Aston Villa, Football League and FA Cup double winners the previous season, attracted a crowd of 5,000 when they visited Portman Road to take on Suffolk County.

Season 1898-99

With a no league football, and no Grandstand at the ground, the Club are described as ‘fossilised amateurs’. The Ipswich Charity Cup is won for the third year in succession but Town lose heavily to Beccles Caxton in the semi-final of the Suffolk Senior Cup in an otherwise unremarkable season.

Season 1899-00

League football arrives at Portman Road as Town finish a creditable fourth in the Norfolk & Suffolk League with the clubs first ever league match ending in a 1-1 draw with Norwich CEYMS. Two men of the cloth, the Revd M.W. Murray and Revd H.A.P. Gardiner, were frequent members of a side that won the Suffolk Senior Cup for the first time in four years with a 3-1 final win against Sudbury and retained the Ipswich Charity Cup for the fourth consecutive year. Complaints by the Ipswich & East Suffolk CC about damage to their crease results in the relocation of the football pitch at Portman Road to its present day location (it was previously aligned from East to West on the area now covered by the practice pitch).

The 1900's

Season 1900-01

With finances tight at the club member’s tickets (forerunner of the modern day season ticket) are issued for the first time to raise working capital. Despite a run of six successive league defeats in December, Town recover to finish their second season in the Norfolk & Suffolk League in a respectable mid-table position. Gale force winds result in Town throwing away a 2-0 half-time lead to lose 6-2 to Old Etonians in the FA Amateur Cup, and 2,500 flock to Portman Road to a Suffolk County take on First Division Sunderland.

Season 1901-02

Four consecutive victories in March puts Town top of the Norfolk & Suffolk League but Lowestoft are crowned Champions on the final day of the season with a crushing 9-0 against the Blue’s who finish third. Ipswich reach the last eight of the Amateur Cup but are trounced 10-0 by Old Malvernians. Ernest Kent plays the last of over 200 games for the Club. Kent, who averaged a goal a game for Ipswich, died in 1960 and by special arrangement his ashes were scattered over Portman Road (Town were crowned Second Division and then League Champions in the two seasons that followed!)

Season 1902-03

Town are runners-up to Lowestoft in the Norfolk & Suffolk League, which includes the newly formed Norwich City in its ranks. The Canaries registered a ‘double’ over Town with a 1-0 victory at their Newmarket Road ground and a 2-1 win at Portman Road.

Season 1903-04

Now used to league competition the club competes in not only the Norfolk & Suffolk League but the South East Anglian League as well, finishing Champions of the latter, the first championship of any sort won by Town. Billy ‘Swanky’ Malden weighs in with twelve goals in eleven appearances during his first season with the club. Oddly the Blue’s just avoid the wooden spoon in the N&S League on goal difference. The Suffolk Senior Cup is also won with Town beating Leiston 3-2 in the final at Saxmundham.

Season 1904-05

Town finish runners-up in the South East Anglian League - a point behind winners Colchester Crown - and mid-table in the Norfolk & Suffolk League. The first victory against Norwich City is recorded with a 1-0 win at Portman Road (although it should be noted this was City’s reserve side as the Canaries had turned professional and their senior side competed in the Southern League). Town went out of the Amateur Cup in the first round, losing 9-0 at Clapton, but did lift the Suffolk Senior Cup with victory over Leiston in the final, and Woolwich Arsenal played a friendly at Portman Road in late April beating Town 3-1 in front of a crowd of 3,000.

Season 1905-06

After a feisty encounter with rivals Colchester Crown the club resolve never to play their Essex rivals again and are fined by the South East Anglian League when they choose to play a friendly with Orwell Works rather than play the return against Colchester later in the season. Town terminated their association with the league at the end of the season. Elsewhere, Town finish mid-table in the Norfolk & Suffolk League, the Suffolk Senior Cup is won for the third year running and with the club’s finance’s looking flush a series of ground improvements are planned including a grandstand and the relaying of the pitch in the close season.

Season 1906-07

Town again finish mid-table in the Norfolk & Suffolk League. A crowd of almost 4,000 watch Town beat Bury St Edmunds in the Suffolk Senior Cup final, one of the few remaining trees at Portman Road catches fire during the game with Lowestoft and Town beat Beccles Caxton, Kirkley and Lowestoft in the Amateur Cup before being knocked out by King’s Lynn. Improvements to the ground are completed late and the ‘new’ ground is officially opened in January 1906. The new grandstand, on the Portman Road side of pitch, would survive until the early 1970’s, eventually being moved to the Foxhall Speedway Stadium.

Season 1907-08

A power struggle between the FA and the newly formed Amateur FA results in Town defecting from the FA backed Norfolk & Suffolk League to the newly formed Southern Amateur League. The Blue’s get off to a flying start in the new league with Billy ‘Swanky’ Malden netting after just 30 seconds in the first game against Eastbourne, but eventually finish third bottom. Town also competed in the East Anglian League during the season but not all fixtures were completed and no final league table was published. The famous Corinthians visit Portman Road for the first time, winning 7-1, Town reached the second round proper of the new AFA Cup and won the Suffolk Senior Cup (AFA version) with a 3-0 final victory over Bury Alexandra.

Season 1908-09

Relegation from the top-tier of the Southern Amateur League is avoided despite three defeats in the final four games but Town fair better in the AFA Cup, reaching the third round before being knocked out by The Casuals, in an otherwise dour season.

Season 1909-10

Another dreary season as Town again avoid relegation from the First Division of Southern Amateur League by winning their last three league games. Just twelve paying spectators watch Town’s league game against Norsemen in Edmonton and the Corinthians inflict on Town the heaviest defeat in the clubs entire history when they beat the Blue’s 15-1 at Portman Road on New Years day.

The 1910's

Season 1910-11

Town finish fourth bottom in the Southern Amateur League and go out of the AFA Cup in the second round. The first ever ‘European Tour’ is undertaken at the end of the season with the Blue’s playing two matches against Slavia Club of Prague.

Season 1911-12

Town clinch the Suffolk Senior Cup with a 2-1 win against Haverhill Rovers in the Final. A wrangle over expense payments sees top scorer and London based Billy ‘Swanky’ Malden leave the club. Malden returns later in the season with the Civil Service and hits a hat-trick in a 4-2 victory for the visitors. Corinthians make another visit to Portman Road and are restricted to a 4-0 win.

Season 1912-13

The Suffolk Senior Cup is retained but it was Town’s exploits in the Amateur FA Cup that caused the most excitement with the Blue’s reaching the semi-finals for the very first time were dreams of reaching the final are dashed in a 2-1 loss to New Crusaders. Forth place is achieved in the Southern Amateur League.

Season 1913-14

A distinctly average season sees Town reach the AFA Cup 3rd round and finish the Southern Amateur League season in mid-table.

Season 1914-15

Just a handful of games are played by the club before War is declared on August 4th. In the Autumn the ground was commandeered by the War Office and that was the end of organised football for Town for six years.

The 1920's

Season 1920-21

The ground is returned by the War Office. After repairs to the pitch and stands are complete a friendly against Old Bancroftians becomes the first home game for six years. Town enter the Amateur Cup, losing in the 2nd qualifying round, make the 3rd round of AFA Cup before losing to Ealing, and finish a creditable third in the Southern Amateur League. Chelsea are beaten 1-0 in an end of season friendly watched by a full house of over 8,000 at Portman Road.

Season 1921-22

Town win the Southern Amateur League with an impressive record of 13 wins, 6 draws and just a single defeat. The title is clinched on the last day of the season with a 2-1 win at Eastbourne who finish a point behind Town in second place. An impromptu procession of the town takes place when a crowd of around 4,000 meets the team at Ipswich station later that night. Chelsea again visit Portman Road but this time run out 7-1 winners. A good run in the Amateur Cup is also enjoyed, Town reaching the second round proper.

Season 1922-23

Eastbourne take the Southern Amateur League title, with Town finishing runners-up just a point behind. Town had beaten Eastbourne at Portman Road on the opening day of the season but oddly the rematch at Eastbourne was never played and in early May the SAL declared the south coast side champions!

Season 1923-24

An indifferent season - considering the two that had preceded it - with early exits from both the AFA and Amateur Cup’s and a mid-table finish in the Southern Amateur League.

Season 1924-25

Town, still in contention for the SAL title with just two games remaining, lose both and finish fifth, four points behind champions Midland Bank. Kirkley beat the Blue’s 1-0 in the Suffolk Senior Cup Semi-Final, while in the AFA Cup the 3rd round is reached before defeat by Merton.

Season 1925-26

Town prop-up the Southern Amateur League during the early part of the season before a final finish of 4th bottom. A 2-1 defeat to Chelmsford in the 2nd round of the East Anglian Cup marks Town’s debut in this new competition, while in the AFA Cup Round 3 is reached.

Season 1926-27

A roller-coaster season with some bizarre results including a 10-5 loss away to Ealing and a 9-0 victory recorded by Town in the return game at Portman Road. Off the field Flight-Lieutenant SN Webster, who played for Town between 1925 and 193,0 broke the world air speed record in Italy to win the Schneider Trophy with an average speed of 281,656 mph.

Season 1927-28

Edwin Dutton becomes the club's first professional trainer. The 37 year-old, who at one time had been on Newcastle United's books, won a cap for the German national side despite being born in South Shields. Town reach the AFA Cup Final for the first and last time, and having beaten fellow finalists Bank of England 4-1 in the league a few weeks earlier are favourites to win the trophy. However, the final at Dulwich Hamlet ends in a 4-2 defeat despite the support of over 2,300 fans who have travelled down from Suffolk for the game. The Blue's win the Suffolk Senior Cup final with a 2-0 final victory against HMS Ganges as a consolation.

Season 1928-29

Town make their first ever appearance at Wembley Stadium. Opponents Ealing were given permission to use the national stadium to host their home league games while their own ground was waterlogged. 1,200 witness a 4-0 win by the Blue's. The Suffolk Senior Cup is retained with a 5-0 trashing of Woodbridge Town.

Season 1929-30

Town sweep the board, winning the Southern Amateur League, the Suffolk Senior Cup and the Ipswich Hospital Cup. The season starts with a home loss but 15 successive wins follow as the league title is won with a six-point cushion.

The 1930's

Season 1930-31

The first official supporters' club if formed at a meeting held at the Crown & Anchor Hotel, with Major Harold R. Hooper, who would play a prominent role in the formation of the professional club in 1936, elected its first president. Town are Ipswich Hospital Cup Winners and Southern Amateur League Runners-Up.

Season 1931-32

Dammo Green sets an all-time Southern Amateur League record scoring eight-goals in the 10-0 defeat of Eastbourne, although Town have to settle for the third place. The briefest of FA Cup runs sees Town KO'd by Leiston Works 3-2 in a preliminary round tie.

Season 1932-33

Herbert Dainty, a member of Dundee's Scottish Cup winning side in 1910, is appointed team coach. Only three league games are lost as Town secure the Southern Amateur League Championship and win the Ipswich Hospital Cup with a 1-0 victory over Harwich & Parkeston in the final.

Season 1933-34

The Southern Amateur League Championship is won for the second consecutive season, completing a six-year run in which Town finish no lower than third in league competition, but an early exit from the FA Cup is suffered at the hands of St Albans City.

Season 1934-35

Bob McPherson takes over as team coach. Town finish fourth in their final ever season in the Southern Amateur League ironically playing Eastbourne, their very first opponents in the competition back in 1907, in the last game of the season.

Season 1935-36

Captain John Murray Cobbold, or Captain Ivan as he was known, becomes the club's first President in the close season. Town join the newly formed Eastern Counties League but the season is overshadowed by talk of the club finally turning professional. Goalkeeper Jock Henderson is sent-off in the 2-0 defeat at Yarmouth and it will be another 57 years before another Town 'keeper receives his marching orders when Craig Forrest is sent-off in the 0-0 draw with Sheffield United at Portman Road in September 1992.

Turning pro ...

Under increasing pressure to turn professional, and with the threat of a breakaway by local businessmen led by Leonard P. Thompson to form an entirely new club, Ipswich United, club president Captain Cobbold calls together the rival factions and at a meeting at the Town Hall on May 1st the decision is made to apply for membership of the Southern League and end the clubs days as an amateur one.

Season 1936-37

Mick O'Brien is appointed as the club's first recognised manager. Town are unanimously elected into the Southern League. Ossie Parry, signed from Crystal Palace, becomes Town's first professional player, but the real coup is the signing of Jimmy McLuckie, a Scottish International, from First Division Aston Villa. The first professional game played by the club at Portman Road ends in a 4-1 win against Tunbridge Wells Rangers, and Town's first year as a pro side sees them crowned Southern League Champions, five points clear of nearest rivals Norwich City Reserves.

Season 1937-38

After just a season in charge Mick O'Brien resigns to be replaced by A. Scott Duncan who is poached from Manchester United. He is unable to match Town's achievements of the previous season in terms of league position but is instrumental, along with Captain Cobbold, in gaining Town entry into the Football League and they are voted into the Third Division (South) in place of Gillingham.

Season 1938-39

Football league debut at home versus Southend United ends in a 4-2 victory. A last minute equaliser at Aston Villa (1-1) earns Town an FA Cup 3rd Round replay at Portman Road where a then record crowd of 28,194 watch Town succumb 2-1. The supporters association boasted the largest membership of any supporters club in the Football League. Leading scorer Gilbert Alsop with 25 league and cup goals.

Season 1939-40

A 1-1 draw at home with Norwich (Town goal scored by Fred Chadwick) is Town's last competitive fixture for 6 years as war with Germany is declared the following day.

The 1940's

Season 1945-46

The season was played in two halves. The first on a league basis with Ipswich taking part in the Third Division South (Northern Section). Ipswich finished fifth. The second half of the season Town took part in the Third Division South Cup (Northern Section). This was played on a league basis with the top four sides progressing to a knock-out stage. Ipswich finished sixth.

Season 1946-47

A rather uneventful season with a final league position of 6th. FA Cup winners Charlton contested the Ipswich Hospital Cup before a season high crowd of 22,012 (Result 2-2). Debut season for midfielder Tommy Parker who went onto make 475 appearances for the club. Norwich beaten 5-0 at home. Leading scorer for the season Albert Day with 14 goals.

Season 1947-48

Notable results included home wins over QPR (eventual Champions) and a new record away win, 5-1 at Norwich. Leading scorer Bill Jennings with 14 league goals.

Season 1948-49

Tommy Lawton, with 4 goals, powers Notts County to a 9-2 victory over Town in Nottingham. Eventual champions Swansea beaten 2-0 at home. Leading scorer Bill Jennings with 23 league goals.

Season 1949-50

Lowest finish ever in the Football League. Threee wins in the last four matches see Town avoid applying for re-election. Only one team (Newport County) concede more goals -- 98 to Town's 86. Sam McCrory becomes the first Ipswich player to be sent off in a Football League game (away to Aldershot). Incredibly, it will be another 18 years before the next dismissal of a Town player. Leading scorer Stan Parker with 15 league and cup goals.

The 1950's

Season 1950-51

Victory at Carrow Road (3-1), in the last but one game of the season, breaks Norwich's unbeaten home record and effectively ends Norwich's chance of promotion. Leading scorer Sam McCrory with 21 league goals. Jimmy Forsyth is appointed coach and stays with the club until his retirement in the early seventies.

Season 1951-52

Leading scorer Tom Garneys with 20 league and cup goals. Mick Burns becomes the oldest player to represent Ipswich in a first team fixture (versus Gateshead at 43 years and 219 days). Jack Parry becomes first choice goalkeeper, ending on the losing side in his first 5 games including a 5-1 home defeat by Swindon.

Season 1952-53

Despite taking a 2-1 lead at Goodison Park, Town go down 3-2 against Everton in the FA Cup 3rd round. A crowd of 42,000 is the highest the team has ever played in front of. Leading scorer, for the second successive season, Tom Garneys with 24 league and cup goals.

Season 1953-54

Patient rebuilding of the side by manager Duncan finally pays off as Town finish the season as Division 3 (South) Champions. Seven points ahead of their nearest rivals at the turn of the year Town were beaten only twice in their first 32 league and cup games. A record of eight successive league wins was also set. Leading scorer, for the third successive season, Tom Garneys with 24 league and cup goals.

Season 1954-55

Despite equalling their best ever league win (6-1 against Middlesboro) during a promising start to the season, a disastrous record of ten straight league defeats sees Town plummet to 21st place. Relegation to Division 3 (South) follows. Leading scorer, for the fourth successive season, Tom Garneys with 21 league and cup goals.

Season 1955-56

Sir Alf Ramsey replaces A. Scott Duncan as manager (Duncan had been manager since November 1937). Town finish a creditable 3rd, scoring 4 goals or more on 9 occasions, with a total for the season of 106. Leading scorer Tommy Parker with 31 league and cup goals.

Season 1956-57

Division 3 (South) Champions. Ipswich score twice, in the first 50 seconds, in the home game against Brentford. Tommy Parker plays his final game for Town in the league game with Millwall at Portman Road (he made 475 appearances in total). Ted Phillips is leading marksman with 46 league and cup goals (a record for a Town player in one season) - he had been playing non-league football the previous year. The league game at Coventry is the first full game played by the Town under floodlights. Ipswich's 3-1 defeat of Norwich on Easter Monday moves them into first place, where they remained, and consigns Norwich to bottom place and the ignominy of applying for re-election.

Season 1957-58

Town are defeated by "Busby's Babes" 2-0 at Old Trafford in the fourth round of the FA Cup. It was to be Manchester United's last home game before the Munich air crash. Leading scorer Tom Garneys with 19 league goals.

Season 1958-59

Dermon Curtis becomes only the 2nd Ipswich player to represent his country in the Eire versus Poland international. Leading scorer Ray Crawford, with 26 league and cup goals, signed from Portsmouth for £5,000.

Season 1959-60

First ever floodlit game at Portman Road sees Town defeat Arsenal 4-0 in a friendly. Leading scorer Ted Phillips with 25 league and cup goals.

The 1960's

Season 1960-61

Town claim the Division 2 Championship Title. A notable double is secured against a Leeds United side boasting Jack Charlton, Revie and Bremner (5-2 and 4-0). Leading scorer Ray Crawford with 40 league goals, second with 30 league goals, Ted Phillips. Crawford's tally including 3 hat tricks.

Season 1961-62

Football League Division 1 Championship won at the first attempt. Despite a slow start, just one point from the first three matches, a 6-2 victory over Burnley marked the beginnings of a steady climb up the table. Top spot was claimed in March and the Championship won in the final home game of the season with a win over Aston Villa. Leading scorer Ray Crawford with 34 league and cup goals, second with 31 league and cup goals, Ted Phillips.

Season 1962-63

Ipswich's first venture into European competition starts with a convincing 14-1 aggregate victory over Maltese Champions Floriana, but the club bow out in the first round proper to eventual winners AC Milan. Sir Alf Ramsey leaves the club to become England Manager and is replaced by Jackie Milburn. Leading scorer Ray Crawford with 33 league and European cup goals.

Season 1963-64

Relegated to Division 2. The club occupied a relegation spot for all but the opening six games of the season, and after hitting the bottom of the table in October, stayed there for the remainder of the campaign. Record away defeat is set at Fulham (10-1). Leading scorer Gerry Baker with 18 league and cup goals.

Season 1964-65

John Elsworthy played his final game for Town in the league game with Bolton (he made 435 appearances in total). Record victory at home set against Portsmouth (7-0). Bill McGarry replaces Jackie Milburn as Manager. Leading scorer Gerry Baker with 16 league goals, second Frank Brogan with 15 league and cup goals.

Season 1965-66

Sir Alf Ramsey leads England to World Cup Victory in the summer of '66. Mick Mills signs after being released by Portsmouth. Leading scorer Gerry Baker with 15 league and cup goals.

Season 1966-67

Despite leading the division at Christmas the promotion cause was undone by a run of twelve matches without a win (nine of which were drawn). Colin Viljoen score's a hat trick on this debut in a 4-2 win over Portsmouth. Leading scorer Ray Crawford with 25 league and cup goals.

Season 1967-68

Division 2 Champions -- the teams fifth championship in fifteen years. Leading scorer Ray Crawford with 21 league and cup goals. Two goals down inside thirty minutes, Town recover to record a 4-3 victory at Norwich. Pictured Town goalkeeper Ken Hancock.

Season 1968-69

Bill McGarry takes management job at Wolves. Bobby Robson joins the club as manager in January '69. Derek 'Chopper' Jefferson becomes the first Ipswich player to be sent off in a football league game at Portman Road (versus Chelsea). Joint top scorer's Ray Crawford and John O'Rourke with 17 league and cup goals each. Notable victories achieved against Manchester United (including George Best) at Portman Road, and away at fourth placed Arsenal.

Season 1969-70

Leading scorer Colin Viljoen with 6 league goals. Town make worst start to a league campaign since turning professional, gaining just one point from their first seven games. Jimmy Robertson and Frank Clarke are signed before the transfer deadline in April. Town subsequently win four of their last seven games, including a 2-1 win at Arsenal, to stave of relegation.

The 1970's

Season 1970-71

Bill Baxter played his final game for Town in the FA Cup game at Westbrom (he made 459 appearances in total). Leading scorer Colin Viljoen with 12 league and cup goals. Alan Hudson scores "the goal that never was" for Chelsea against Town at Stamford Bridge. Notable results include a 4-0 home victory over Manchester United and a 0-0 draw at second placed Leeds United.

Season 1971-72

Construction of new Portman Stand completed in time for opening home game of season. Allan Hunter is signed from Blackburn and Bryan Hamilton from Linfield. Leading goal scorer Mick Hill with 8 league and cup goals.

Season 1972-73

Texaco Cup Winners defeating Norwich in the final 4-2 over two legs. FA Youth Cup Winners. Kevin Beattie , in his debut season, becomes the first recipient of the ITFC 'Player of Year Award'. Leading scorer Trevor Whymark with 16 league and cup goals. Home attendance record is broken in consecutive home games. 31,918 watching the 4-1 defeat of Manchester United and 34,636 the 2-1 loss to Arsenal. Final league position of 4th secures UEFA cup qualification.

Season 1973-74

Real Madrid and Lazio dismissed en-route to the UEFA Cup Quarter Finals. Another 4th place finish scoring more goals than anyone else in the division but also conceding ten more goals than relegated Manchester United. Kevin Beattie is ITFC 'Player of the Year' for the second successive season and also wins the PFA 'Young Player of the Year' award. Leading scorer Bryan Hamilton with 19 league and cup goals. Roger Osbourne, Eric Gates, Brian Talbot and George Burley, all youth team products, debut during the season. Paul Cooper, signed from Birmingham City, also debuts.

Season 1974-75

Despite leading the division on a number of occasions Town miss out on the Championship by just two points. FA Cup Semi-Finalists. FA Youth Cup Winners for the second time in three seasons. Record attendance set at Portman Road for the FA Cup visit of Leeds United (38,010). ITFC 'Player of the Year' Colin Viljoen. Leading scorer Bryan Hamilton with 17 league and cup goals.

Season 1975-76

Lowest league finish for four seasons - 6th !. Second Division Sunderland's FA Cup Final victory over Manchester United gives United the final UEFA Cup place in preference to Town. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Allan Hunter. Leading scorer Trevor Whymark with 15 league and cup goals. Notable results include a 3-0 home win against Manchester United and a 3-3 draw at Liverpool despite being behind on three occasions.

Season 1976-77

Third place finish secures UEFA Cup qualification for the 3rd time in 4 seasons. David Johnson departs for Liverpool for £200,00. Paul Mariner joins the blues for a then club record £220,000 from Plymouth. Record win is equalled with 7-0 defeat of Westbrom at Portman Road. ITFC 'Player of the Year' George Burley. Leading scorer Trevor Whymark with 15 league and cup goals. Notable double over Arsenal, winning 4-1 at Highbury and 3-1 at Portman Road.

Season 1977-78

FA Cup Winners in the 50th Final to be played at Wembley. Roger Osbourne's 77th minute goal defeating Arsenal. 6th Round tie at The Den held up for 18 minutes as Millwall fan's riot. Ipswich win comprehensively 6-1. Town narrowly miss out on UEFA Cup Quarter Final berth losing to Barcelona on penalties. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Mick Mills. Leading scorer Paul Mariner with 22 league and cup goals. Daily Express 5-a-side winners.

Season 1978-79

Robson signs Arnold Muhren from FC Twente. Town lose out in European competition for the 2nd consecutive season to Barcelona - this time on the away goal rule. Champions Nottingham Forest run out 5-0 winners over Town in the Charity Shield at Wembley. Talbot joins Arsenal for £450,000. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Arnold Muhren. Leading scorer Paul Mariner with 17 league and cup goals.

Season 1979-80

ITFC 'Player of the Year' Frans Thijssen signed in the close season from NEC Nijmegen. Leading scorer Paul Mariner with 22 league and cup goals. Notable victories include a 6-0 home win over Manchester United, 2-0 at Arsenal and 4-0 at Everton as Town finish 3rd.

The 1980's

Season 1980-81

UEFA Cup Winners, with a impressive run to final that includes a 4-1 away win at St. Etienne over Michel Platini, Johnny Rep and Company. Football League Division 1 Runners-Up. FA Cup Semi-Finalists. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Paul Cooper. John Wark was elected 'Player of the Year' by the PFA, with Frans Thijssen and Paul Mariner coming second and third respectively. Frans Thijssen was voted the Football Writers player of the year, with Mills, Wark and Muhren finishing in 2nd, 3rd and 6th places respectively. Leading scorer John Wark with 36 league and cup goals. His 14 goals in the UEFA cup equalled the record for most goals in European competition by one player in one season.

Season 1981-82

Football League Division 1 Runners-Up. League Cup semi-finalists. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Alan Brazil. Leading scorer Alan Brazil with 28 league and cup goals. League doubles over Manchester United, Leeds United, Aston Villa, Westbrom, Coventry, Middlesboro and Brighton. Electronic scoreboard installed over the North Stand. International call-up's for Mills, Mariner, Butcher and Osman (England), Brazil, Wark and Burley (Scotland), and Muhren and Thijssen (Holland).

Season 1982-83

Bobby Robson leaves the club (after 13 years) to become England Manager and is replaced by Bobby Ferguson. Mick Mills plays his final game for Town in the league game with Liverpool at Portman Road (he made 741 appearances in total). Muhren, Thijssen and Brazil also depart. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Paul Mariner. Leading scorer John Wark with 23 league and cup goals. Town lose in opening round of UEFA Cup to Roma.

Season 1983-84

ITFC 'Player of the Year' Trevor Putney . Leading scorer Eric Gates with 16 league and cup goals. Jason Dozzell becomes the youngest ever player (at 16 years and 57 days) to represent Town in a first team fixture. He scores on his debut against Coventry and becomes the youngest ever goal scorer in the First Division. Wark and Mariner depart for Liverpool and Arsenal respectively.

Season 1984-85

League Cup Semi-Finalists. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Terry Butcher. Leading scorer Eric Gates with 16 league and cup goals. Mick Mills makes his 100th appearance for Southampton against Town at the Dell (his 900th in first class competition). Burley scores the fastest goal at Newcastle for over 40 years - an own goal after 20 seconds !. Steve McCall sets a club record 175 consecutive appearances.

Season 1985-86

Town lose over half their league games, and take just 8 points from their last ten, and are relegated to Division 2. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Terry Butcher sold to Glasgow Rangers. Leading marksman Kevin Wilson with 15 league and cup goals.

Season 1986-87

Town are defeated in the 1st Division/2nd Division play-offs by Charlton Athletic, and miss out on a Wembley appearance in the Full Members Cup losing 3-0 at Blackburn in the semi-finals. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Romeo Zondervan. Leading marksman Kevin Wilson with 25 league and cup goals.

Season 1987-88

John Duncan succeeds Bobby Ferguson as manager. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Frank Yallop. John Wark returns to the club. Match of the Day camera's are at Portman Road for the first ever 'live' transmission of a home game, and the 2-1 defeat by Manchester United in the FA Cup 3rd Round.

Season 1988-89

Sergei Baltacha joins Town, becoming the first player from the Soviet Union to play in the Football League, and scores on his debut in the 5-1 home win over Stoke City. Leading marksmen John Wark, Dalian Atkinson and Jason Dozzell with 13 league and cup goals each. ITFC 'Player of the Year' John Wark.

Season 1989-90

A final league position of 9th, humiliation on their away travels at Port Vale (0-5), Bournemouth (1-3) and Hull City (3-4), and a League Cup exit at the hands of Third Division Tranmere, sum up a season of inconsistency for Ipswich. John Duncan is sacked as Manager. ITFC 'Player of the Year' John Wark.

The 1990's

Season 1990-91

John Lyall is appointed manager. Final league placing of 14th is Town's worst for 25 years. ITFC 'Player of the Year' David Linnigan.

Season 1991-92

Division 2 Championship clinched, with a game to spare, in the final way game of the season at Oxford (1-1). Liverpool taken to extra time in the FA Cup 3rd round replay at Anfield where Town lose by the odd goal in five. ITFC 'Player of the Year' John Wark .

Season 1992-93

Inaugural season the FA Premier League. Eventual Champions Manchester United are held 1-1 at Old Trafford and beaten 2-1 at home. League derby action resumes as Norwich are doubled 2-0 at Carrow Road and 3-1 at home. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Mick Stockwell .

Season 1993-94

A last minute goal by Mark Stein for Chelsea beats Sheffield United and Ipswich escape relegation. Ian Marshall is leading scorer with 10 goals. ITFC 'Player of the Year' John Wark.

Season 1994-95

John Lyall resigns as manager in December. George Burley is appointed manager in January. Relegated to Division 1. Despatched from FA Cup by 2nd Division Wrexham. On wrong end of record Premiership victory (against Manchester United, 0-9, at Old Trafford). ITFC 'Player of the Year' Craig Forrest . Richard Wright makes his league debut.

Season 1995-96

Town require a win on last game of season to clinch play-off berth but are held 0-0 by Millwall at Portman Road. Ian Marshall is leading scorer with 19 goals, Alex Mathie nets on 18 occasions. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Simon Milton .

Season 1996-97

A run of 25 league games, from December to May, with just four defeats see Town clinch 4th position and a play-off berth, where they lose on away goals to Sheffield United in the semi-finals. Sheffield United had been beaten twice in the regular season - 3-1 on both occasions. Leading marksman is Paul Mason with 12 goals. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Mauricio Taricco .

Season 1997-98

Just one league defeat in the last 28 league games sees Town clinch another play-off spot. In that run three straight home games see Town score five, including the 5-0 demolition of Norwich. Town lose to Charlton Athletic in the play-off semi-finals. Leading marksman David Johnson with 22 league and cup goals. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Matt Holland .

Season 1998-99

Sir Alf Ramsey dies in April at the age of 79. Town have to settle for 3rd spot in the league, despite having occupied an automatic promotion place at the end of April, and lose on away goals to Bolton Wanderers in the play-off semi-finals. Watford, who had finished 9 points behind Town, beat Bolton in the final and were promoted. ITFC 'Player of the Year' Jamie Clapham . Kieron Dyer sold to Newcastle United for £6 Million in close season.

Season 1999-00

Having lead the division during August, and occupied 2nd or 3rd spot for most of the season, Town again miss out on automatic promotion. Manchester City's 4-1 away win a Blackburn on the final day of the season consigns Town to the play-offs for the fourth year running. 2-0 down inside 30 minutes away at Bolton in the semi-final 1st leg and the play-off jinx appears to be striking again. But Town fight back to draw 2-2 and win the 2nd leg 5-3 (aet) to book a Wembley appearance against Barnsley in the final. 37,500 Town fans mass at the Twin Towers for the penultimate club game ever to be staged there. Town win 4-2 and are back in the Premier League after a five year absence. ITFC 'Player of the Year' James Scowcroft . Record transfer fee is broken with the signing of Marcus Stewart from Huddersfield Town for £2.75M.

Back to the top ^^

Copyright ©2000-2011 pride of anglia |